About Me

My photo
Springfield, MO, United States
A few facts about me... i love my family. i have a more than precious little girl, Ava. i find my only source of strength in Christ. i love my friends. i'm loud. i love to laugh. i really like to dance although only my true friends have seen it. rain is my favorite. i smile at all strangers. i love to take care of people. i love harry potter. the only time i eat popcorn is at the movies. i could eat hot wings everyday. i strive to make my brothers laugh. i love football. i can't go a day without music. i hate fixing my hair. i wish i had dreadlocks. i only like coffee drinks that don't taste like coffee. knock-knock jokes crack me up. i love to read. i hate school but love to learn. i want to live in ireland. i live in springfield. i love to be barefoot. my favorite smell is glass cleaner. i hate shopping. i hate when people think they are better than everyone else. i love funny people. i like tattoos. these are just a few things that make me me.
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

is this really church?

so this is my current thought : "i wonder how many of us think we are attending church, when really what we are taking part in really isn't church at all."

let me explain how i got to this thought. on friday, i had a financial emergency come up. it was $1100 and i didn't have a choice but to pay it. i only had a couple hundred dollars in the bank. this was a problem. i was...distraught, to say the least. i was hyperventilating and couldn't control the tears. i literally didn't know what to do. i knew God would take care of me because He always does. but let's face it, He sometimes allows us to go through hard situations. so i knew God would take care of me, i just didn't know how or when. all i could see was unpaid bills in my future! i told my family and a couple friends what happened, just so they could pray for me. needless to say, i didn't sleep well that night. the next day i told my pastor about it. again, just for prayer and wisdom. what i got was something completely different than i expected or am used to. 

his words were, "don't worry. we will take care of you."  excuse me? what? that's right. it took all of one second for him to hear my need and know without consulting the other pastors, that they would without a doubt, take care of my need. wow. i was speechless. 

i mean absolutely no disrespect to the previous churches i have attended, but i couldn't help but feel like i have gone to church my entire life and this is the first time i have felt like i actually attend a "real" church. by "real" i mean, a church that has its priorities 100% in line with Christ and His word. this church puts taking care of its family members, and others in the community before a nice building with a nice mortgage payment. Christ calls us to take care of one another. to show His love to those who don't know Him. He never called us to have a nice building, with nice programs, and nice salaries. i have never felt like i would be taken care of no matter what hardships i go through. and i'm not just talking finances. i have never been prayed for like i have been at this church. i have never felt so cared for and loved. and it's so genuine. 

the past two years have been the hardest of my life, but at the same time, the sweetest. i have never experienced Gods love like this before. i am amazed. after i talked to my pastor i couldn't help but think "this is what church should look like".  i have attended church for 27 years and just now feel like i know what church really is. which brings me back to my first question...

"how many of us think we are attending church, when really what we are taking part in really isn't church at all?"

4 comments:

nugget said...

That is really cool. Sometimes when people are in need church will pray for us or sympathise with us but the fact that your church didnt hesitate and just did it is amazing.

P.S. you're welcome

:brittany// said...

true church is one of the most beautiful gifts God ever gave us. (: i am glad your church is working out that gift to God's glory. i am praying for you jamie. i do not forget you.

Anne Esquibel said...

I can't believe I was unaware of your bloggage. I'm going to fav it now! Oh yes. Mine is http://sixgunannie.blogspot.com I think it's linked to my name.

Anyway:

Church is when people gather to worship God. For the edification of saints. Worship can mean prayer, singing, lifting someone up to God. Somehow it got turned into a people bank, for money, popularity and filling seats.

I'm really glad your church is taking care of you!! It's taking care of my brother/family too. :) It's awesome you turned to God for answers, He will never cease to amaze you!

God has great things planned for you. ox

Jenkovar said...

Jamie, thanks so much for that reminder. I too have felt that way and am now experiencing "church" in a new way. Love ya! Jen