About Me

My photo
Springfield, MO, United States
A few facts about me... i love my family. i have a more than precious little girl, Ava. i find my only source of strength in Christ. i love my friends. i'm loud. i love to laugh. i really like to dance although only my true friends have seen it. rain is my favorite. i smile at all strangers. i love to take care of people. i love harry potter. the only time i eat popcorn is at the movies. i could eat hot wings everyday. i strive to make my brothers laugh. i love football. i can't go a day without music. i hate fixing my hair. i wish i had dreadlocks. i only like coffee drinks that don't taste like coffee. knock-knock jokes crack me up. i love to read. i hate school but love to learn. i want to live in ireland. i live in springfield. i love to be barefoot. my favorite smell is glass cleaner. i hate shopping. i hate when people think they are better than everyone else. i love funny people. i like tattoos. these are just a few things that make me me.
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

spoiled brats.

we are spoiled brats.

that has been my thought lately. and the more i think about it, the more pathetic i feel. i have come to the realization that i live my life with a blindfold on. i go throughout my day taking total advantage of everything around me. let me try to explain...

Ava, my three-year-old, is possibly the most detail oriented person i know. she doesn't miss a beat! i love this about her. we can be walking outside and she will notice the tiniest little ladybug and have to stop and watch it. she isn't concerned with where we are going or when we have to be there. all she cares about it experiencing this little creature. it's amazing how much i can learn from such a little person.

so that takes me to the thought- we are spoiled brats. we go through our days completely taking advantage of everything around us. as Donald Miller writes, "Life is staggering and we are just used to it." think about it. Life is staggering. a friend has a baby and we are happy for them and buy them a gift. but do we really take into account that this baby is a brand new life? it's just another baby. or sometimes it is just another funeral. sometimes it is just another sunset. Ava recently asked me to explained the sunrise and sunset. while trying to explain the earth's rotation to a three-year-old wasn't so easy but it got me thinking. i rarely even think about how incredible it is that the sun rises and sets, with such beauty, every single day of my life on earth and i rarely stop to even take it in. we are so spoiled. we go about our days with our oh-so-important agendas and forget about the simple-yet-astonishing things in life that God gives us everyday simply for our pleasure.

i guess what i am saying is, we have grown to ignore life while trying to live life. so take a step back, breathe life in, and enjoy what is surrounding you. it's amazing what you will find when you just look.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. It gets me kicking myself quite often. I have tried to enjoy life more often recently. It is hard, though, because circumstance (both trials and joys) that we all have to go through in life is what keeps us from stopping to just absorb and enjoy.

It will always be a constant struggle to get ourselves to not take anything for granted and to enjoy every little thing God puts in front of our faces. Thankfully, God is patient and gracious enough to acknowledge what He has created in us and love us despite our ignorance.

That little girl that He has blessed you with will keep you remembering to stop and enjoy. That is one of the many wonderful things about children.

This post was wonderful! :)

nugg33 said...

Thanks Jamie. I think we need reminded of this all the time. We're only human afterall and we will end up losing sight of all the amazing stuff and opportunites that go on, because we are looking for stuff thats not really important.

So thanks for this reminder. Going to try and look around more.

P.S. welcome back

Jones Family said...

jamie--

hopefully it doesn't freak you out too much that i read your blog. i think i got it from your facebook page! i love to read other's blogs! you are such a talented writer! you should keep up with your blogging. thank you for this! isn't it wonderful how much our children teach us.
Lisa Jones

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you're back. :)
i was encouraged by reading this. it's hard especially in this cold weather to stop and take life in, but there can also be so much beauty there as well- snowflakes, the crisp clear sky, the still quietness.
thanks.
:)

Jim Parks said...

I love you because your you! :)

Jim Parks said...

I love you because your you!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I loooooooooove you!!! I wish I could have skyped you today. :(